Great Keppel Island is one of those places that has a bit of everything - resort, camping and cabin facilities and holiday houses.
The island sits among a group of Great Barrier Reef National Park islands off the Capricorn Coast of Central Queensland. It lies 15 kilometres across Keppel Bay from the town of Yeppoon (a 30-minute ferry ride) and is 45klms from Rockhampton, the closest major city – halfway between Fraser Island in Hervey Bay and the Whitsunday Islands near Airlie Beach.
There is lots to do on the island - water sports including snorkling, diving, sailing, swimming, canoeing, skiing, fishing, island drop offs; beach sports including volleyball, cricket, etc; bush walking; visit the eco centre; and just relax. Not to mention the various dining options from fine to casual.
Some accommodation on island
- Great Keppel Island Holiday Village. Website: www.gkiholidayvillage.com.au. Phone: 07 4939 8655
- Keppel Island Lodge. Website: www.keppellodge.com.au. Phone: 07 4939 4251
- Resort: closed, currently under redevelopment.
How to get there:
- FREEDOM FAST CAT FERRY - Departs from Pier 1 at Rosslyn Bay Harbour - Phone 07 4933 6888
- WATER TAXI SERVICES available Mondays through Sundays for pickup at Rosslyn Bay Harbour for transfer to Great Keppel Island and return. Departure times arranged to meet connecting flights at Rockhampton Airport. Trips must be pre-booked. Contact the Holiday Village for prices and bookings - 1800 KEPPEL.
- PEACE AVIATION operate an efficient charter flight service to Great Keppel Island from Rockhampton Airport for very reasonable rates. The scenic flight to the island takes around 20 minutes and is a really special and exciting way to get to the island. Website: www.peaceaviation.com. Phone: 07 4927 4355